Sometimes it's worth waiting for DLC

0 Replies, 585 Views

[Image: animal-crossing-new-horizons-8-3.jpg]

Can you remember when DLC was a controversial subject to Nintendo players?  The idea of purchasing additional content on top of the full price already paid was at one time unthinkable.  However, DLC is now a norm for Nintendo players, and in some cases, I wonder if it's best to wait off until purchasing a title until scheduled DLC has been released.  Why?  

Well, take Animal Crossing New Horizons, for example.  After its initial release, I played Animal Crossing New Horizons for eight months straight.  I spent hundreds of hours on my island, chatting to residents, maxing the Critterpedia, enjoying special events, making changes via the construction app etc.  Upon release, the game missed much-loved elements from past titles, such as swimming for sea creatures.  It seemed strange to have a new and improved Switch Animal Crossing title, but yet, not being able to swim and collect Sea Creatures as in New Leaf.  Swimming and collecting Sea Creatures didn't become part of New Horizons until version 1.3 (released July 3rd 2020).  Oh yes, can you remember how art collecting didn't become a thing until a month or so after release?  Smile

[Image: redd-animal-crossing-new-horizons.jpg]

If you're a nerd like me and enjoy reading patch updates, then you can read up on every ACNH patch to date by clicking here (thanks, Nookpedia).

Leading up to patch 2.0, numerous updates were released, mainly containing new seasonal events.  But then, in October, patch 2.0 exploded onto the scene, and suddenly I feel as if New Horizons 2.0 is what the developers originally envisaged. Undoubtedly, the Roost and Blathers were in the plans from day 1!  For more than a year, New Horizons was Gyroidless!  How could that be?  Well, it seems patch 2.0 concludes the developer's vision for New Horizons, and if you're new to the game, now is the time to jump in. 

Even if you're not new, perhaps you're tempted to start the game anew.  Well, why not? I did, and I'm having a blast.  Early in the game, you notice new features such as the wooden ladder construction kit recipe, which becomes available as soon as Nooks Cranny opens.  Once the Plaza has a permanent dwelling, more unlockables become available such as the new pro-camera, which boasts a superb handheld mode.  Be ready to spend a lot of Nook miles to unlock a whole host of new features.

Once you've finally got a 3-star rating, as well as K.K. coming to play, Kappin, Blathers, Kappin, Harv's camp expansion, and even food recipes add plenty to the mix.  I haven't made any meals yet, but I've had a taste of planting my own carrots and sugar cane.  

I admire new New Horizon's players who have recently picked up the game for the first time.    Your wait has paid off in that patch 2.0 along with paid DLC Happy Home Paradise has made New Horizons the ultimate Animal Crossing experience.  

Patch 2.0 is another example of an already great game becoming an even better game for early adopters.  In fact, if a new upcoming title has DLC planned, I may judge a day one purchase based on what the DLC will add.  If the DLC will add new mechanics, new story elements, and items, then it may just be worth waiting a little longer.  Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2021, 08:42 PM by Jonah.)